Privacy notice for hirers
Under data protection law, individuals have a right to be informed about how the school uses any personal data that we hold about them. We comply with this right by providing ‘privacy notices’ (sometimes called ‘fair processing notices’) to individuals where we are processing their personal data.
This privacy notice explains how we collect, store and use personal data about lettings.
We, Cedars Upper School, Mentmore Road, Linslade, Leighton Buzzard Bedfordshire LU7 2AE are the ‘data controller’ for the purposes of data protection law.
Our trust data protection lead is Ms. H Pitkin (see ‘Contact us’ below).
The personal data we hold
Personal data that we may collect, use, store and share (when appropriate) about lettings includes, but is not restricted to:
- Contact details, contact preferences and DBS number of tutors, coaches or other people who hire school facilities
- CCTV images captured in school
Why we use this data
We use this data to:
- Administer the hire of facilities
Our legal basis for using this data
We only collect and use this personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we process it where:
- We need to comply with a legal obligation
- We need it to perform an official task in the public interest
Collecting this information
This information will be requested at the time of booking or during the letting period.
How we store this data
We keep this information securely.
We do not share information with any third party without consent unless the law and our policies allow us to do so.
Where it is legally required or necessary (and it complies with data protection law) we may share personal information with:
- Our regulator – Ofsted for inspection purposes to meet our legal obligations
- Government Departments such as Health and Social Care – to meet our legal obligations regarding safeguarding and medical requirements
- Security organisations for CCTV footage
- Police forces, courts, tribunals
Individuals’ rights regarding personal data
Individuals have a right to make a ‘subject access request’ to gain access to personal information that the school holds about them.
If you make a subject access request, and if we do hold information about you, we will:
- Give you a description of it
- Tell you why we are holding and processing it, and how long we will keep it for
- Explain where we got it from, if not from you
- Tell you who it has been, or will be, shared with
- Let you know whether any automated decision-making is being applied to the data and any consequences of this
- Give you a copy of the information in an intelligible form
Individuals also have the right for their personal information to be transmitted electronically to another organisation in certain circumstances.
If you would like to make a request please contact the schools’ data protection lead.
Under data protection law, individuals have certain rights regarding how their personal data is used and kept safe, including the right to:
- Object to the use of personal data if it would cause, or is causing, damage or distress
- Prevent it from being used to send direct marketing
- Object to decisions being taken by automated means (by a computer or machine, rather than by a person)
- In certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data corrected, deleted or destroyed, or restrict processing
- Claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the data protection regulations
To exercise any of these rights, please contact the schools’ data protection lead.
We take any complaints about our collection and use of personal information very seriously.
If you think that our collection or use of personal information is unfair, misleading or inappropriate, or have any other concern about our data processing, please raise this with us in the first instance.
To make a complaint, please contact the schools’ data protection lead.
Alternatively, you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office:
- Report a concern online at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
- Call 0303 123 1113
- Or write to: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
If you have any questions, concerns or would like more information about anything mentioned in this privacy notice, please contact Cedars Upper School data protection lead:
- Ms. H Pitkin – [email protected]
This notice is based on the Department for Education’s model privacy notice, amended to reflect the way we use data in this school.